rp_ln_city8_2 suggestions thread

Aspect

Perhaps it wasn't a waste of time after all.
Founder
Server Developer
Map Developer
Faction Lead
Aug 4, 2019
City 8
lancer-networks.com

LN City 8 2 Suggestions Thread

This thread is to be utilized as a static hub for people to create suggestions for the map, be it small, big, or even bug reports.
There is not really a template, but the higher quality your suggestion is, the higher the chance of it being accepted and the easier the job will be for the mappers to actually implement it.

Last edited:

CJ

SEE YOU IN UTOPIA
Community Director
Faction Manager
Early Supporter
Aug 10, 2019
First and foremost, the shops are quite lacklustre, although I understand that you're a hard worker so I don't wish to pressure you when I say this: We need better venues for our stores as the current ones from my initial impression will not hold up as well as most SUCCESSFUL business' have in recent months.

Aspect

Founder
Server Developer
Map Developer
Faction Lead
Aug 4, 2019
City 8
lancer-networks.com
First and foremost, the shops are quite lacklustre, although I understand that you're a hard worker so I don't wish to pressure you when I say this: We need better venues for our stores as the current ones from my initial impression will not hold up as well as most SUCCESSFUL business' have in recent months.
Are there any specific areas that come to mind?

CJ

SEE YOU IN UTOPIA
Community Director
Faction Manager
Early Supporter
Aug 10, 2019
Are there any specific areas that come to mind?
The three or four shops around Controlsection 4 seem to have some space for expansion around them perhaps more accommodating wall textures for them might help

• Informative
Reactions: Aspect

Generic

Main Sidekick
Administrator
Event Manager
Faction Lead
Early Supporter
Aug 6, 2020
There are a few doors on the map that cannot be opened, I think it'd be nice if we could fit some more shops in using those doors. There seems to be enough empty space behind them to accommodate for DBB04 sized stores.

• Lancer
Reactions: CJ

Aspect

Founder
Server Developer
Map Developer
Faction Lead
Aug 4, 2019
City 8
lancer-networks.com
There are a few doors on the map that cannot be opened, I think it'd be nice if we could fit some more shops in using those doors. There seems to be enough empty space behind them to accommodate for DBB04 sized stores.
Could you send some pictures of them so I can keep track?

Kravis

Faction Lead
Feb 15, 2021
Texas
Here's my rundown of some possible additions that I'd like to suggest both in lieu of helping those who enjoy rebel rp have some breathing room as well as some small additions to more out of the way citizen rp.

First off, The Mall, while spacious is far too under utilized for what assets are hidden from sight. Below I'll list some possible additions to open it up a bit more including a major addition that might provide some interesting dynamics and new possibilities if it can be pulled off.

Idea one: The Mall Plaza (OOC Location: Mall - 2nd Level - The twin doors.)

Indoor malls usually have these plazas that act as a central location to find food markets or other commodities that can be packed together for larger customer volume. This mall however lacks one and I think there's a perfect opportunity here to open a massive improvement to the mall by utilizing the blank space behind these two doors here. (Alternatively, this could be done on any level in case Aspect thinks it's better to just tear a whole wall down like down on level 1 but i chose this just to utilize the doors, Again, not a map maker so whatever's easier and more appealing.)
(There's a door opposite of this one for a natural entrance sort of look.)
This is a example of a mall plaza for visualization (OOCly being shut down a while ago.)

How many venues and little stores that can be found within is up to Aspect, but as for a general layout I think it should consist of pillars sort of like this for decor and a none-working HL2 fountain in the middle with maybe 3-4 different stores connected to the plaza with a hallway that's been buried from rubble opposite of the plaza entrance. (As well as a maintenance access but I'll explain that later.)

Idea Two: The Library (OOC Location: Mall - 3nd Level - Wall with decent space)
(View to show space behind wall)
Not much else to say about this one but just another possible area to open up to a smaller, bookstore sort of room, maybe even a maintenance sort of room containing access to the plaza? Maybe. TBH don't care about this one but saw the space as something that could be used.

Idea Three: Construction site (OOC Location: Mall - Bottom floor/below ground - Small room to the left of the escalators if looking towards them.)
This is a bit of a interesting addition that will make sense once I explain the next idea. A door leading to a lower-level maintenance area where they were working on the foundations of the mall that just has some broken construction equipment laying around, the major thing about this room however is that it has a sort of tunnel access that cuts across the map and connects to a more subterranean part of the map and acts as a second passageway to the Xenian location.

Idea Four: Xenian infestation (OOC Location: The Pit - Below CMU HQ/Wall next to it.)

This one seem bizarre but it mixes in a bit of Half-Life: Alyx influence and allows for a greater variety of Half-Life's unique aspects to lurk around the map. But I was thinking of a cavern/tunnel that was sort of sealed up by the combine (Or perhaps tried to seal up and maybe now the door sealing it is showing some wear and tear.) that leads to a cave system sort of similar to the one found in HL2's campaign. This area is completely underground and probably was serving as a access tunnel for construction underneath the city before the war broke out. Down here you give the opportunity to find Xen formations that are in the content pack but never utilized as well as introduce a area that could serve as a hostile environment for zombie players to come forth from. This tunnel should sort of wrap around the right side of the CMU building that's on top of it so that it sort of hangs out towards where the mall is simply because I wanted to connect this cavern with the construction site underneath the plaza to allow for two entrance ways rather than just the pit.

(This is just my idea of what it could look like geometry-wise but creative liberty is up to Aspect to decide or whoever edits the map.)

Idea Five: The Game Room (OOC Location: Alleyway near the factory.)
Simply a old arcade room of some sorts that was hidden way. Sort of like the one on Industrial C17 map or w/e it is. I don't have pictures of it. But sort of a callback to beta features of HL. All in all just a new place for the city side of things, as I really can't think of anything new to add due to how coagulated everything is by the city. (Which isn't a bad thing.)

EDIT: Also to address any concerns as to why we should add more when people already feel spread out...Rebels...Rebels sort of aren't like that. They're railroaded into running into each other. And if you don't agree with someone chances are it's just going to lead to escalation and constant hostility. This aims to give a bit more breathing room for those desire that sort of aspect of Half-life rp to seek it out while having room to do so. (Just remember good rebel rp takes place both in and out of the city and not just solely in slums.)

Last edited:

Aspect

Founder
Server Developer
Map Developer
Faction Lead
Aug 4, 2019
City 8
lancer-networks.com
Here's my rundown of some possible additions that I'd like to suggest both in lieu of helping those who enjoy rebel rp have some breathing room as well as some small additions to more out of the way citizen rp.

First off, The Mall, while spacious is far too under utilized for what assets are hidden from sight. Below I'll list some possible additions to open it up a bit more including a major addition that might provide some interesting dynamics and new possibilities if it can be pulled off.

Idea one: The Mall Plaza (OOC Location: Mall - 2nd Level - The twin doors.)

Indoor malls usually have these plazas that act as a central location to find food markets or other commodities that can be packed together for larger customer volume. This mall however lacks one and I think there's a perfect opportunity here to open a massive improvement to the mall by utilizing the blank space behind these two doors here. (Alternatively, this could be done on any level in case Aspect thinks it's better to just tear a whole wall down like down on level 1 but i chose this just to utilize the doors, Again, not a map maker so whatever's easier and more appealing.)
View attachment 1024
(There's a door opposite of this one for a natural entrance sort of look.)
This is a example of a mall plaza for visualization (OOCly being shut down a while ago.)

How many venues and little stores that can be found within is up to Aspect, but as for a general layout I think it should consist of pillars sort of like this for decor and a none-working HL2 fountain in the middle with maybe 3-4 different stores connected to the plaza with a hallway that's been buried from rubble opposite of the plaza entrance. (As well as a maintenance access but I'll explain that later.)

Idea Two: The Library (OOC Location: Mall - 3nd Level - Wall with decent space)
View attachment 1025
(View to show space behind wall)
View attachment 1026
Not much else to say about this one but just another possible area to open up to a smaller, bookstore sort of room, maybe even a maintenance sort of room containing access to the plaza? Maybe. TBH don't care about this one but saw the space as something that could be used.

Idea Three: Construction site (OOC Location: Mall - Bottom floor/below ground - Small room to the left of the escalators if looking towards them.)
View attachment 1027
This is a bit of a interesting addition that will make sense once I explain the next idea. A door leading to a lower-level maintenance area where they were working on the foundations of the mall that just has some broken construction equipment laying around, the major thing about this room however is that it has a sort of tunnel access that cuts across the map and connects to a more subterranean part of the map and acts as a second passageway to the Xenian location.

Idea Four: Xenian infestation (OOC Location: The Pit - Below CMU HQ/Wall next to it.)

This one seem bizarre but it mixes in a bit of Half-Life: Alyx influence and allows for a greater variety of Half-Life's unique aspects to lurk around the map. But I was thinking of a cavern/tunnel that was sort of sealed up by the combine (Or perhaps tried to seal up and maybe now the door sealing it is showing some wear and tear.) that leads to a cave system sort of similar to the one found in HL2's campaign. This area is completely underground and probably was serving as a access tunnel for construction underneath the city before the war broke out. Down here you give the opportunity to find Xen formations that are in the content pack but never utilized as well as introduce a area that could serve as a hostile environment for zombie players to come forth from. This tunnel should sort of wrap around the right side of the CMU building that's on top of it so that it sort of hangs out towards where the mall is simply because I wanted to connect this cavern with the construction site underneath the plaza to allow for two entrance ways rather than just the pit.

(This is just my idea of what it could look like geometry-wise but creative liberty is up to Aspect to decide or whoever edits the map.)
View attachment 1028
View attachment 1029
View attachment 1030
View attachment 1031

Idea Five: The Game Room (OOC Location: Alleyway near the factory.)
View attachment 1032
Simply a old arcade room of some sorts that was hidden way. Sort of like the one on Industrial C17 map or w/e it is. I don't have pictures of it. But sort of a callback to beta features of HL. All in all just a new place for the city side of things, as I really can't think of anything new to add due to how coagulated everything is by the city. (Which isn't a bad thing.)

EDIT: Also to address any concerns as to why we should add more when people already feel spread out...Rebels...Rebels sort of aren't like that. They're railroaded into running into each other. And if you don't agree with someone chances are it's just going to lead to escalation and constant hostility. This aims to give a bit more breathing room for those desire that sort of aspect of Half-life rp to seek it out while having room to do so. (Just remember good rebel rp takes place both in and out of the city and not just solely in slums.)
These are some decent ideas, however, we were just recently coming up with ways and trying to deter people from going to the TRZ in order to enhance CityRP. Adding more interesting areas, to the place that we're trying to keep unoccupied does not sound like the best idea.
However, once we grow enough and are able to sustain enough people to the point where we can allow the TRZ to be moderately populated, I would be more than happy to look into your suggestions and see what I can do.